About Me

I started this blog to keep track of my kitchen creations. I love cooking and eating. In 2008 I was diagnosed with RA. Food started becoming a huge problem. I needed to find a better way to eat the flavors I love. All the recipes I create are driven by my desire to eat good food that won't create extra pain and inflammation in my internal ecosystem. While the recipes are wholesome, the language is not. I swear. I use the word 'fuck'. A lot! I make no apologies for that. It's just a fair warning. I'm raw and real. Happy cooking! Even happier eating! Cheers! Angie

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Chocolate Decadence

I love chocolate!  I love chocolate!  I LOVE CHOCOLATE!  Finding chocolate desserts that are gluten-free and dairy-free are a challenge.  Don't get me wrong.  There's plenty if recipes out there but let's be honest.  They don't all taste good.  This recipe was modified from a cake that a friend made.  It's rich, delicious, and so completely sinful that it's hard to believe that it's GF, DF, there are only 3 ingredients, and there is no added sugar!  The only question here really is what should you top it with?  Coconut creme is delicious on this cake but so is cashew creme.  I'll let you decide!


CAKE
8 extra large organic eggs
1 pound of dark chocolate (any darkness is acceptable-the darker the chocolate, the less sugar)
16 tablespoons of soy-free earth balance
  • Pre-heat oven to 325*.
  • Place a roasting pan filled halfway with water on the bottom rack.
  • Line the bottom of a 10" springform pan with parchment paper.
  • Spray the sides of the pan with an organic cooking spray.
  • Melt the chocolate and Earth Balance over medium-low heat, stirring frequently.
  • As soon as everything is just melted, take the pan off the stove to cool.
  • Beat the eggs on high until the double in volume, about 5 minutes.
  • When the eggs are done, carefully fold them into the chocolate 1/3 at a time.
  • When everything is incorporated pour batter into pan.
  • Place on oven rack above water bath and bake for 30 minutes.
  • After 30 minutes, check cake.  It can be baked up to 15 minutes more if necessary.
  • Once cake is done, allow to cool in the pan for an hour before removing
  • Be sure to peel off the parchment paper from the bottom
  • Store in the fridge

COCONUT CREME
2 cans of full-fat coconut milk
Pure vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean

  • Chill coconut milk for at least 3 hours in the fridge
  • Carefully open cans and scoop out the white solid off the top
  • Add vanilla and whip either with electric beaters, in a food processor, or in a high-powered blender
  • Spoon over cooled cake or serve with individual slices
*A note about this creme.....If it begins to separate, that means you mixed it too long.  You can fix this by continuing to mix at a high speed until it becomes combined again.  It will be watery.  Just stick it in the fridge and it will harden up in an hour or so.  It will still have the consistency of creme.


CASHEW CREME
1 cup of whole, raw cashews
water
pure vanilla extract
1 seeded medjool date to sweeten if desired
  • Put the cashews, date, vanilla, and 1/4 cup of water in a food processor and let 'er rip for about 5 minutes
  • If the creme isn't thick and "creamy" looking, add more water, a little at a time
  • You can add more nuts if it seems too watery

                                          coconut creme                      cashew creme



                                                   cashew creme on top of coconut creme


No comments:

Post a Comment