About Me

I started this blog to keep track of my kitchen creations. I love cooking and eating. In 2008 I was diagnosed with RA. Food started becoming a huge problem. I needed to find a better way to eat the flavors I love. All the recipes I create are driven by my desire to eat good food that won't create extra pain and inflammation in my internal ecosystem. While the recipes are wholesome, the language is not. I swear. I use the word 'fuck'. A lot! I make no apologies for that. It's just a fair warning. I'm raw and real. Happy cooking! Even happier eating! Cheers! Angie

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Plum Upside Down Cake

SCORE!!!  On so many levels!  This baby is vegan, gluten free, soy free but totally not flavor free!  Even my husband who isn't fond of GF baking loved it!  And again, my awesome CSA, Good Food Collective, showered me with sow fantastic plums!



Baking Supplies
Parchment paper
Large skillet
Springform pan (10 & 1/2 inch wide)
Spectrum non-stick coconut oil spray 

Topping
1 heaping quart of purple Italian plums pitted and sliced
1/4 to 1/2 cup of raw or turbanado sugar
Coconut oil

Cake
3 cups of Bob's Red Mill GF baking flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of room temperature nut milk         (I used So Delicious 2X protien)
2 tablespoons of white vinegar
1/2 cup of melted extra virgin coconut oil

Procedure
Preheat oven to 350

Separate the springform pan and line the bottom with the parchment.  Make sure it over-laps the edges.  Put the ring back on and seal it so that the parchment is snug.  It helps to tape the paper on the underside.  Once the pan is put back together, remove the extra parchment and tape if you used it.  Spray sides and bottom of the pan heavily with the cooking spray.

In a large skillet melt some coconut oil.  Add the plums and sugar and cook until until a syrup forms.  Turn heat off.

Combine the dry ingredients.  Put the vinegar in the milk.  It will curdle. This ok! Let it sit for 5 minutes.  After 5 minutes add the sugar and melted coconut oil to the milk and mix well.

Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir gently until incorporated and most lumps are gone.

Using a slotted spoon, scoop the plums out of the skillet and put them in the springform pan and gently spread evenly.  Pour the remaining syrup over the plums.
Carefully pour the batter over the plums.

Bake on a center rack for 45 minutes.   If the cake is not set, continue cooking in 5 minute increments until a knife comes out clean.

Cool in pan for 2-3 hours. Place a large platter upside down over the top of the springform pan.  Flip the pan over onto the platter.  Open the side of the pan and lift it off.  Remove the bottom and the parchment.

Serves 12







No comments:

Post a Comment